Friday, March 19, 2010
I am making progress! Usually when I try to fix something, I either tear up more than I fix or it takes me hours sometimes weeks longer to accomplish my task. Last night it only took me about 1 hour to fix the flush thing on my toilet. It should have taken me 5 minutes. I took the lid off the back of the toilet and saw that the arm that lifted the flapper was broken. It looked like a task that I could accomplish without tears or cursing, so off I went to buy a new arm. I went to Wally World and found exactly what I needed. I knew when I walked in the store, found what I wanted, exactly what I wanted that this was too easy. I should have seen it coming. When I tried to unscrew the back of it, the screw was on so tight, I broke the arm…tears have arrived and small curse words are building in my head. I went back to Wally World and bought a new lifter arm and this time I also bought a pair of slip joint pliers. I couldn’t believe that I didn’t already own this type of pliers. I had needle nose pliers, wire cutter pliers, and way too many of what I think is called adjustable wrenches. What I needed were some slip joint pliers. What I wanted were some vice grip pliers! I settled on the slip joint pliers and whined all the way out the store because I wanted those vice grips but I couldn’t justify spending $2.37 on the lift arm and spending $20.00 on the pliers that had a spring when the $5.00 slip joint would work just fine. I went back home, opened the lift arm from the package and the back came off effortlessly. I didn’t even have to use the pliers. I’m keeping the pliers and putting vice grips on my wish list. I’m sure I’m the only woman with a wish list that contains a pair of vice grips. The toilet flushes perfectly now.