Thursday, December 06, 2007

Queenie Has a Heart

It's been a long time since I talked about Queenie. Primarily because when I speak to/of her lately my blood boils. Any of you out there with a 16 year old daughter know what I am talking about. Well, Queenie surprised me the other day. It turns out that Queenie has a heart after all. The sister of one of her friends was diagnosed with Fanconi Anemia a form of Leukemia.

Queenie wanted to be tested to become a bone marrow donor. I told her that I would look into it and I did. If you have been looking for me lately you know that I haven't been around. I have been beyond busy. I finally did get around to looking into what was involved in being tested and if a match, what the procedure is for donating marrow. It took me about 2 weeks to get around to doing this and during that time her friend and the rest of his family got tested to see if they were a match to donate their bone marrow. When they got the results back they were devastated to find that not only their daughter has Fanconi Anemia but her brother does too (Queenie's friend). It turns out that Queenie is not old enough to be tested. You have to be 18. Even though she can't do this, it makes me very proud of her for wanting to help.

8 comments:

Sugardaddy said...

She must have a very good Mama.

Chuck said...

How terrible for that family!

Ain't it great when our teenagers surprise us like this? Good kid you got there Cake.

BO Snagley said...

its funny how kids can be so sweet about some things, and eat you for lunch over others.
sounds like a good kid.
I imagine that the cake dont fall too far from the table.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I love this story - gives all of us parents of teenagers hope. My 18 year old son recently joined the Air Force - he has become so kind and loving and even remembers to call home and check on his youner brother!

Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

Jay said...

I guess you raised her right.

teahouse said...

Yes, that's terrific that she thought to try to do that. And so sad for that family..I hope they find an eligible donor soon.

Slick said...

Sad for that particular family...

But yes, it's awesome that your daughter was thoughtful and caring to even want to be tested.

That should make you proud. :)

sue said...

Oh, sweetie... how heartbreaking. yes, sometimes our kids can really surprise us. Gives us hope, don't you think?

So sorry to hear about her friend and brother. What a shock for the family...