Sunday, August 26, 2007

I Am Thankful For...

It's been a beautiful day today. GI Joe asked to spend the night with me Saturday night. I know it sounds strange for my son to ask to spend the night with his mother but when there is divorce involved, that's just the way it is. He came over Saturday night and invited his friend over to spend the night with him. They played games on the play station till I made them go to bed at 11:30. As they played I listened to them laugh and try to talk big and bad and it gave me such pleasure. I am thankful that GI Joe has friends to play with. Today I cooked breakfast for them. As I cooked I heard them talking about how good the bacon smelled and I was thankful that I had food to feed them. Later today we went to pick up GI Joe's football uniform. We had to pick it up from his coaches house. GI Joe made the comment about how nice the houses were in his coaches neighborhood and I was thankful that he recognized the beauty in the homes. Our home is nice but I wouldn't qualify it as beautiful. His coach lives close to Huntsville's oldest cemetery. GI Joe suggested that we go visit some graves. Again this might sound weird to some folks but for me it is one of the most peaceful things to do. We walk around and admire the beautiful headstones, talk about the names and just walk in piece and for this I am thankful. We were able to find the grave of a friend who passed away late last year. I was in NYC and wasn't able to attend the funeral. I knew about where it was so we looked and found it. As I remember about how tragically she died, I am thankful that I am alive and walking with my son. I am reminded of just how short life can be, so I will continue to live it to the fullest and be thankful I am alive.

1 comment:

Sugardaddy said...

Hang onto these moments. I have some very similar ones with my sons and would not trade them for anything.