Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Weed Whacker!

In my previous post Land of Confusion I talked about being confused on what kind of weed eater to buy. Junebugg suggested that I go to Lowes or Home Depot and do some of that Flirting that we Southern Women are famous for. I might be able to get away with that at Home Depot but I pissed Lowe's off.

I bought a Troy built from Lowes because I thought it was a reputable brand. I think it probably still is a reputable brand HOWEVER I do not have enough upper body strength to pull the cord as quick as it must be pulled to start it. I had used the weed whacker twice before and always had to get a male neighbor to start it for me (Hence Flirting). Sunday the male neighbors were no where to be found or their wife's saw me coming and took them hostage. I got fed up with all this yanking and decided that my weed eater had a problem. When I walked into Lowes, low and behold there was another man with the same make and model weed eater returning it for the same reason as me. He could not get it to start. I was so relieved that I was not the only one with the weed whacker problem. Lowes gave us both refunds and we both purchased another weed whacker one of the same make and model. I got the weed whacker home, filled it with gas and tried to yank the cord. I tried and tried, even got GI Joe and his pal to try it. None of us had the strength to pull it as fast as it had to be pulled. By then my arm felt like I had jerked off about 30 men. I decided I was not going to keep something that I could not start. So back to Lowes I go. The lady at the customer service desk gave me a refund and apologized for my troubles. I told her that I would just buy the top of the line and that should surely take care of my problems. The weed whacker that I returned was $100.00, the one that I was going to buy was $269.00. I told her that I thought that I should get a discount for all my troubles. She agreed but said a manager would have to give the OK. A few minutes later this big burly man with arms the size of tree trunks comes up and says he would like to check this weed whacker out for himself. That really pissed me off but me being the polite woman that I am, said OK. We went outside and he proceeds to yank on that cord effortlessly. He yanked it about 10 times, it started then sputtered then went dead. He did some adjustments with the choke and pulled another 5 or 6 times and this time it fired right up. He looks at me and says "I'm sorry Ma'am but I can not authorize a refund when there is obviously nothing wrong with this equipment. I responded with, "May I have your phone number? I will call you every time I want to start it". He looks at me and says, please understand my position. There is nothing wrong with the weed eater, I am sorry that you are not able to start it. I can not authorize a refund. I smiled, looked at him and said "I understand your position perfectly, and I hope you understand my position. I have already received my refund and if I am going to have to pay full price for a weed eater it will be from someone else". His mouth dropped open, he was speechless. He had no idea that I already got the refund. I bid him a good day and prissed off. Yes - I prissed off!

Now, I will be doing some hands on research. I figure I will walk the neighborhood in search of men with weed eaters and ask them if I can yank on their equipment, take it for a test drive so to speak. After I find one that I can start by myself I will go purchase one of those.

8 comments:

Sugardaddy said...

How bout an electric one or one that runs on batteries? Works fine for me. Just have to have about 150 feet of cord.

Cake Lady said...

I had an electric weed eater before I bought a gas one and they are not strong enough. I have that thick bermuda grass.

Chuck said...

Man how I'd loved to have been there to see the look on that guy's face! What a classic situation! Way to go!

Good luck finding the right one. I haven't used mine in a while. Two summers ago I broke my foot and had to pay a guy to do the yard work. I've been using him ever since. Sometimes I'll limp around the house a little just to make it look real...

BO Snagley said...

check on electric again they have made some strides.
I have two a ryobi and a weedeater brand. they are both pretty stout I have to worry both of them to get them to start.
I have to keep them tuned in order for anyone who does not know the inner workings of a choke as well as i do, so i would not recomend either.
My 84 year old mom has an electric and he can cut johnson grass with
hers. However she is not your typical 84 year old woman. she also likes to go white water rafting.

Sugardaddy said...

Black & Decker Weed Hog works great on my bermuda (and the zoizia also).

Junebugg said...

"I figure I will walk the neighborhood in search of men with weed eaters and ask them if I can yank on their equipment, take it for a test drive so to speak."

You go Miss Prissy! Damn, I wish I could have seen you in action, putting Mr. HeMan in his place. I do so love me a bad-ass female story

egan said...

You have thick "Bermuda Grass"? Your much naughtier than I thought. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Where is the Cake Lady today?