Friday, June 22, 2007

It Is Not A Love Song!

It's not a love song. Or is it? If I see a yellow rose and someone who is color blind sees the same rose. He doesn't see yellow. It's a yellow rose to me and a gray rose to him. Who is right and who is wrong?

Wish you were here by Pink Floyd. Is it a song about missing someone that you love? I always thought it was a very sad song about 2 lovers that could not be together and I still do. Mr. Florida however has a different view of the song. So what if he has heard every interview by Roger Waters. If I think it's a love song about missing someone then that is what it is to me. Per Wikipedia Wish You Were Here is universal: it is directed at anyone who is missing a special person from their life.

This is one of those post that I'm compelled to talk about (much like proclivities). I have heard this song about 10 times in the last 3 days and just recently a friend put this song on his profile. What do you think? Is it a sad love song about missing someone or does it refer to Syd Barrett and his fall from reality? Is it a yellow rose or a gray rose?

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, Blue skys from pain.
Can you tell a green field From a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell? And did they get you to trade Your heros for ghosts? Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange A walk on part in the war For a lead role in a cage? How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here.

2 comments:

BO Snagley said...

Pink Floyd.
I used to be a floyd fan. back in the day.
I dont listen to much music now.

T.J. said...

It's always been a love song to me. And when an at-the-time girlfriend and I went to a friend of her's grave to listen to it to honor one of his last wishes, it became a 'lost lover' love song.

T.