Sunday, March 11, 2007

I am Woman Hear me Roar!

I know just enough to be dangerous!
Who needs a Dewalt or Makita? Not me!
For those of you who truly know me, you know that for a woman I am fairly mechanically inclined. Today I fixed my couch which mysteriously started creaking about 3 or 4 weeks ago. With the suggestion of a friend, I turned it over and saw that the boards that braced the frame had came out. So, last night I got my handy dandy cheep cordless drill/screwdriver along with some drywall screws and tried to pull the boards back together. NO - didn't work. I stripped out the screw heads then had to get a pair of plyerspliers to get it out. So, I thought - Oh this needs a pilot hole. NO - I still couldn't draw the boards back together. At this point I was really pissed. I mean, how hard could this be??? Could it be that I needed a really nice expensive power tool like a Dewalt? I don't think so! I decided there is more than one way to skin a cat. Today I went to my favorite department store Lowes and bought some 1x4's and had them to cut the boards to the length that I needed. I also bought some longer screws. I put the new boards on top of the frame in a slightly different way than what the original boards were. Got out my cheep 18v cordless drill and started to work. Walla! It's by no means pretty but now my couch doesn't creak. Now that I have conquered this task I am going to get back to the son's room. This one has had me twisted for about 2 months. I have been trying to hang a curtain rod. I get the screws in to a certain point and then they just stop, like I have ran into concrete or something. I tried the pilot hole thing and broke a brand new set of bits. The bit went in but when I was taking it out, it broke. As stated above I fixed the couch, it's not pretty but no one see's it anyway. I am going to abandon the power tool and go right for the most powerful tool that I have in my house "The Hammer"! Once that screw stops at that certain point, I am picking up the hammer and I assure you that it will go in after that!
Note:
What the heck does "more than one way to skin a cat mean"? I remember hearing it from my Dad when I was growing up but what does it mean? Who wants to skin a cat? OK, OK, I know that I have one that most people want to introduce their tires to but really...skinning it????
Ladies, you really must check out Lowes on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday!
I feel so good, I think I will try to cook tonight! I feel pretty safe, I just changed out the batteries in the smoke detector!

No comments: