Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Long Day Yesterday

Yesterday was a long day and I'm glad that it's over. My boss and I had an appointment in Smyrna TN. It takes about 2 hours to get there from Huntspatch AL. We ride up to TN in his Ford F150 that needs a ladder for me to get into. Seriously, I am glad I wore pants. So, off we go in a truck big enough that it probably qualifies as a small rig. And anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a thrill seeker. I look over and he's doing 75mph in a 45mph zone. Hey it's his ticket but I'm more concerned about where the "Oh Shit" handle is. Of course I'm also trying not to seem like I'm about to piss my pants. So I just start chanting and praying in my head. Every thing is OK, Every thing is OK. After a couple of wrong turns, we finally get to Smyrna TN. He nor I have any Idea where this facility is that we are supposed to be going to. So, I tell my Boss because he has a woman in the car that it's OK to ask for directions. He actually thought about this for a second or 2 then said, OK go ahead and call. I make the call to our client and the receptionist answers, asks who we are coming to see. Then says are you sure you have an appointment?? I reply "Yes". Then she tells me that our client had to make a sudden trip to SC. What a waist of my valuable time. So we said we would reschedule. Which means I get another roller coaster ride in the big rig. We stopped for lunch and some steak house called Legends that looked promising on the outside and there was a big sign saying it was under new management. Hey Folks - I got news for legends, they need another new management. It was 12:30 and we were practically the only 2 people in the restaurant. We finally got someone to take our order. The food wasn't too bad but the service sucked. So, we eat and we get in the big rig to go home. Coming back wasn't so bad because he took a different route (one less winding) maybe he noticed me turning white a couple of times.

We get back to Huntsville about 4:00. I had an appointment to give blood at 4:00. The bloodmobile was right outside our office in the parking lot so it only took me a second. The last time I gave blood it only took about 30 minutes from beginning to end. Yesterday it took 2 hours. They take your information, then take you back to a private room where they begin to ask questions such as, do you have sex in exchange for money or food? Have you had sex with a known homosexual, have you been shooting up? Those type questions. Then they prick your finger to make sure your iron level is good. Then they have you pull up your sleeves to make sure your not a junky. Then they take your pulse and your blood pressure. This whole screening should take no more than 5-6 minutes unless the screener is a trainee. My screening took about 20 minutes. After the screening I get to go to the reclining chair. The lady who was setting up for this did a great job. She was the only one who was not a trainee, she was the trainer. She gets the needle in my arm the 1st time, just a little poke. All is going well then just when the bag is almost full, I start to pass out. This is not uncommon. But all the other people in the bloodmobile had never experienced this and they were all in an uproar. The blood takers did a good job. They pulled the recliner upside down so my feet were higher than my head. Put ice under my neck, on top my neck and on my stomach. Then made me do the Dorothy dance (I want to go home, I want to go home) with my feet, while telling me to keep my eyes open. I just wanted to go to sleep. When I finally was coherent again, all the other people were just stunned. I went from near unconsciousness to may I have another cookie? When you faint, they make you stay there a while just to make sure you'll be fine when you leave. I was there about 2 hours. I did sleep really well last night.

Tonight I'm having dinner with the Trickster. Yummy, she can cook. BTW - I still haven't figured out how to make Trickster's name a link. I can't remember who it was that told me how to do this but I'll be looking back and sending you an e-mail. I copied her link but it shows her link and not her name. I want to just reference her name and when you click on her name then it takes you to her site.

One final note. I encourage everyone to give blood. I thought that the bloodbanks were only looking for the rare type. I found out yesterday that they are always in short supply of all types of blood.

No comments: